Thursday, February 11, 2010

Topaz

What a life.

With every second and every oyster card swipe, London is starting to convince me of a fast- paced, busy lifestyle. I always did think black was my color. Starting classes this week, however, is a bit... yes, annoying. Monday was the Teaching Fellows seminar- nothing but an overview of what we'll be doing as far as teaching here goes. Observing and helping out in a nearby primary (aka elementary) school, I'm excited to start. Primary isn't the only British jargon we're getting used to. Prawns are shrimp, pants are underwear, loo/ lu/ luu is restroom, football is soccer...

Tuesday we had more school. The Beatles class came before theatre. At the early time of 9AM (is there even a 9AM on weekends?), we all crammed onto the tube and into our tiny Anglo- American classroom. I don't think I officially opened my eyes until 10AM, though... I know I didn't get the numbness in my hands and toes from the cold weather back until about 12 30PM (when I got out of class). The Beatles class... not as excited I was before. I'm stoked to learn their influence and their songs and how they've affected history, but with all the work Dr Frantoni is assigning, oh boy... At least he's not assigning the 20-25 page research paper he usually does for the course any more. Today we went to the Imperial History Museum...

We were to look at the Blitz and the Second World War- how it relates to the Beatles? Ask me on Tuesday. By Tuesday, however, we're supposed to write a 4-7 page paper on just that: how the Beatles and the Blitz/ WWII are related. Wish me luck.

The theatre class is promising. Going to see many plays all around London is spectacular. Christina (my saucy sista) will be joining in on two of them when she comes in a month! The first play is Monday called "11 & 12"... woohoo?

Tuesday night we all went out. At the overwhelmingly humungo Sports Cafe, we got in free because it was "college night." We walked in bundled up in our jackets with an open mind for a fun time, we walked out with a phone. Long story. Short version: we made friends. They asked how we could get in touch with them and because facebook apparently isn't possible and neither Morgan or I have a phone here- they gave us their phone...

Still don't know how we're going to work this out...

Wednesday was yesterday. It was Taylor's first birthday as a non-teenage adultish person and the first Art History class. Art History should be... fun. (Fun meaning my feelings are still mixed). The art museums are going to rock and our final is to come up with our own exhibit, so that is so excited. I only have that class once a week and its my only one on Wednesdays. Though I envied Morgan when I got up early to get to class while she slept in because she doesn't have class, I managed to get through the day. Later on, Morgan and I desperately needed to get school-related things so we recruited Bhriel and headed off to Rymans... the mecca of school supplies. It was a few tube stops away, but guess what. WE FOUND IT. Coming home, we stopped by a supermarket and we grabbed a rotisserie chicken and some spicy, Mexican rice for dinner later on. Coming back and heating everything up, I was full in second. By the way, cutting a chicken- not so easy. Being Taylor's birthday and our normal, daily routine, we went upstairs to the TF (teaching fellows) flat to chillax and have some cake in celebration. Taylor's boyfriend made a not so surprise visit for her birthday because he's been in Scotland? Sweden? Switzerland? ...one of those S'... He took her out for dinner so we waited on them to get back and ate the chocolate cake & the cheesecake. After making Jacob (Tay Bay Bay's boyfriend) try a funny chair trick (I'll explain later), we all hung out more + Russel, Taylor boy, Jeff and Delvin for a bit.

Russel and Taylor are both juniors at Elon- super cool, as Jeff is another teaching fellow. Delvin. Well, what do I say about Delvin. He's a senior. He's a character- literally. His real name is Dylan, but he doesn't look like one. Rather, he looks like a Melvin, but also like the cartoon character Dilbert. Melvin + Dilbert = Delvin.

This is Delvin.

Wow this is a long post.

After "celebrating" quietly, we all departed and went to bed. Today was the museum trip and because I'm not in that history class, I'm here alone- how sad. I never realized how much time Morgan and I spend together until she's not here. It's kind of weird... I feel like somethings missing right now. Wait I hear someone at the door. OOp, not her.

Today, I'm excited! We're truly celebrating Taylor's birthday because no one has class Fridays. We're doing a fettuccini alfredo dinner with salad, love and dessert. Morgan and I are in charge of dessert.

OK the chair trick we made Taylor's boyfriend do. Women and men have different "centers of gravity" on their bodies. For women, its their hips and for men: their shoulders. If A MALE puts a chair against a wall, bends over, picks up the chair and bends back up all while he's arm's length away from a wall- he can't do it. FEMALES, piece of cake.

ONE very cool thing: My roomie EMILY STRICKLAND (miss you!) told me something so interesting. Her sister in law, Lauren, who was also an Elon Teaching Fellow came to London when she was a sophomore. She stayed in the same flat, in the same room and the same BED as I am now. Can fate be any less obvious?

PS I miss my parents and my sis. Christina and I have been skyping like whoa, but I still miss that crazy girl. My mom, before I left gave me an adorable Beanie Baby of the month "November" because both our birthdays are in the topaz month of November.

I keep it by me everyday!

Miss my dad a lot too! His random, horribly misspelled texts- who couldn't miss that!

And, obviously, the Danieley girls, I miss you too :)

2 comments:

  1. I thought I posted a comment yesterday but it does not show!

    The beanie baby made cry! Way to go baby girls!

    Love you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISS YOU! sounds like so so much fun :)

    love,
    em

    ReplyDelete